Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Don't Read and Drive

Courses have taken over my life in the last few months, but in some of my spare time I’ve been learning to drive. I never even thought about what it would be like to drive until I turned sixteen and everyone began asking me when I was going to learn, and even then the idea wasn’t exactly appealing. Now I’ve finally put more effort into it and earned my learner’s licence, if only to keep up with everyone else.
My province issues a driver’s handbook which is required reading for the test. Most of the book was mind-numbing, but there were a few lines that I enjoyed, like this one: “Parents and grandparents must always use an approved child car seat...” The sentence ended with “when transporting children” so that made it a bit clearer, but I still like the way they decided to word it. My favourite line out of the whole book however, is definitely this one: “Keep books in the trunk while driving so that you aren’t tempted to read.” Sure, they say, you can have your alcohol and drugs and cell phone on the seat beside you as long as you don’t use them, but books are in a class of their own. Maybe they decided to add that line after they saw me walking down the street from the library and reading at the same time. Well, at least I can rest assured that the government is vigilant about minimizing safety hazards on our roads.

No comments:

Post a Comment